Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Return of the Hermit Crab

I recently discovered my responsibility level has decreased significantly since high school. What prompted this discovery?
Ahm.
Er.
You remember that hermit crab I was quite proud of acquiring? Yes. His food rotted. I put him in the back room and successfully forgot about him for about three weeks. No food. No water. No attention (not that hermits like attention, but still a sign of neglect). I assumed he was dead, and was pretty ashamed of my irresponsibility when I rediscovered his terrarium. For about a week I was too embarrassed to dig through the sand in the bottom and resurrect his dead body.
On Monday I was sitting on my bed doing homework and he crawled across the floor in front of me.
Fully alive, fully mobile, as nonchalant as a hermit crab can be, he sauntered in front of me.
I'm glad he's back, glad I didn't kill him, and glad for a second chance at being a good hermit crab owner.
It makes a pretty funny story to tell, too.

No comments: