Monday, May 5, 2008

The Green Mile--plus a few rabbit chases

.....Yes, another movie. Again, over three hours long. Very deep. And yes, I had homework to do that night. But it was worth it. Every moment I spend with my buddies here is worth it. I won't be here much longer (graduation: yay!).
....This movie was very intense. Ask my skittles. I got up and ran out of the room more than once. Yeah, well, I'm kinda a baby when it comes to scary movies. Its not so much the prevalence of death. Its the drama associated with it, the way they emphasized it and made me think about it. Troy was the first R rated movie I'd ever finished (I started to watch "the Reaping" with my skittles last fall, but I fell asleep after about the first ten minutes. Mostly all I remember about it is this image of a girl in the dark and screaming), and this was the second. It probably wasn't the best initiation into the world of graphic violence. I don't like electrocution.
.....But I loved the story. It was refreshing to see something obviously fantastical handled in such a serious manner. I love fantasy, magic, "miracle" stories. I think they can answer real life's problems a whole lot better than anything factual ever can. There wasn't one moment of doubt from any of the actors in this movie. No slightly shamed grins, no hidden mocking faces. All the characters in this film completely believed John Coffey, and none of them asked for an explanation. That's an important step for an audience to make if they're ever to enjoy a story: belief without explanation. Aparently this was a fairly widely viewed movie. Perhaps America is not as dumb as I thought.

No comments: